George Memorial Library will close from Sunday, August 4, through September 29, to carry out renovation of the first floor of the building. It will re-open on Monday, September 30.
“Originally, we thought we would be able to keep the library open during the entire renovation period, and just close off the areas where construction was taking place,” said Clara Russell, Library Director. “Now that it’s time to begin work on the first floor, however, we realize that this will be the hardest phase to complete while remaining open. It would be very difficult to close off the first-floor areas – which include the library entry, the youth and adult collections, and the lobby – and still be able to provide services to everyone. We also know that we will be experiencing interruptions of power during that period, and we don’t want to take any chances with the safety of our patrons and staff, so we’ve made the decision to close the library during this phase of construction. Once this phase is complete, we can re-open and proceed with renovations in other areas of the library that do not directly impact the public. The entire renovation will be completed in 2014, and when it is done, George Memorial Library will have additional public space and more amenities that can be enjoyed by everyone.”
- Books and other items that have been checked out may be returned to George Memorial Library until August 3. From August 4 to September 29, items that have been checked out and are due to be returned may be dropped off at any of the nine branch libraries in the Fort Bend County library system.
- The pick-up location for items that have been requested and placed on hold for pick up at George Memorial Library, will default to the University Branch Library, on the UH campus in Sugar Land, until George Memorial Library re-opens, unless the library patron chooses to select a different pick-up location.
- Children and adults who are participating in the Summer Reading Club may pick up their rewards at George Memorial Library until August 3. After that time, rewards may be picked up at any of the other branch libraries. The last day to pick up Summer Reading Club rewards is August 31.
- The last day to check out Kindles or Nooks from George Memorial Library is July 13. The eReaders checked out from George Memorial Library cannot be returned to any other library, and must be returned by July 19.
- Anyone needing meeting space is encouraged to reserve a room at one of FBCL’s other libraries in the area.
- Other libraries nearby include the University Branch Library, 14010 University Blvd in Sugar Land, on the UH campus; the Albert George Branch Library, 9230 Gene Street in Needville; the Sugar Land Branch Library, 550 Eldridge; or the Bob Lutts Fulshear/Simonton Branch Library, 8100 FM 359 South in Fulshear. Click here for a map of our locations.
“We want to remind everyone that they still have access to many library resources online 24/7,” Russell stated. “The library’s resources that can be accessed through our website – such as the databases, Homework Help, Ask-a-Librarian chat, OverDrive eBooks, and other online services – will still be available and can be accessed at any computer outside the library that has an Internet connection.”
The public can stay abreast of ongoing changes during construction with updates on the libraries’ website, www.fortbend.lib.tx.us. For more information, call the library’s Public Information Office at 281-341-2677.