TumbleBooks are animated, talking picture books. Every selection is always available! TumbleBooks are created by taking existing picture books, adding animation, sound, music and narration to produce an electronic picture book which you can read, or have read to you. TumbleBook Library also includes National Geographic videos and games.
Click on the TumbleMath link at the top of the TumbleBook Library page to be taken to another database, filled with the most comprehensive collection of math-related picture books available online. Topics range from counting and measurement to geometry and finance, and all selections are always available.
All you need is the Flash plug-in which is pre-loaded on most computers and reading tablets. If you are unable to view the TumbleBooks, you can download the plug-in for FREE at www.adobe.com/go/getFlashPlayer. For mobile users (iPad, iPhone and Android) there is a free app, or the website should redirect you to the mobile site. (If you are not redirected, you may choose "English non-Flash" from the Language drop down menu at the top right corner of the webpage.) All content is streamed, not downloaded, so it never takes up space!
There is no limit, and all selections are always available. Selections are never downloaded, so you can return to them and stream them at any time, as long as you have Internet access.
The following categories can be selected from the tabs on the TumbleBooks home page or from the menu in the app:
- Story Books are animated, talking picture books. Users have the option to automatically or manually turn the pages. iPad users please note that the iPad-compatible Story Books on the Mobile site have been converted to an mp4 video format and thus the auto/manual feature is not available.
- Read-Alongs are early chapter books for older elementary readers. While there are no animations, the eBooks are narrated. They also include Chapter menus so that you can jump chapters, and use the bookmarks and notes feature which are cookied onto your computer. Chapter Books also allow readers to change the colors of the background and text, as well as the font style, size, and line spacing to aid in accessibility.
- Videos are from the world renowned National Geographic! Simply click on "Watch Online" to watch the 2-5 minute clips on various topics. Most videos have been paired with eBooks as a way to introduce a topic!
- Puzzles & Games accompany each book and reinforce concepts from the books.
- Language Learning (or Español tab) is an easy way to access eBooks written in Spanish.
- Non-Fiction links to a selection of titles in subjects like health, science, astronomy, biology, and nature!
- Playlist allows you to access a pre-loaded playlist. The eBooks play back to back just like a music playlist! In addition, you can create your own playlist! Simply click on the "Add to Playlist" button below a TumbleBook to create your own! To access your customized playlist, click on the "Playlist" near the top of the homepage. Please note that this feature is cookied onto your computer. To access your customized playlist from any computer, create a MyCloud account and save your playlist there.
Yes! Not only can you view the TumbleBook Library website in French and Spanish but you can access picture eBooks in French and Spanish! Use the Language pull-down in the upper right of the homepage to select your preferred language. Or, to access French/Spanish books from the English language website, click on Language Learning on the home page.