Welcome to the Fort Bend County Libraries Virtual Book Fest! This is the registration to sign up for all events at the Book Fest. Once you register, you can jump in at any time during the conference!
We hope you enjoy all of our programs today and look forward to celebrating our local creativity and diversity. Look for the Webex link in your email a day before the event.
- 10:00 AM - 12:00 pm - Wake Up and Smell the Writing! Writers of various genres and experience levels are invited to submit an excerpt of their work for consideration prior to the event. Submissions must be family-friendly. Those writers whose work has been selected will be invited to read or perform these excerpts of their work during this session. For guidelines and submissions, send an email to Programming@fortbend.lib.tx.us between October 13 and November 12.
- 12:00 noon - 1:00 pm - NaNoWriMo Writing Workshop -- November is National Novel-Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), and fledgling writers -- or anyone who has ever wanted to write a novel -- are encouraged to join in this coast-to-coast annual writing challenge by committing to writing 50,000 words of a novel in the 30 days of November. This session will introduce exercises that are designed to get inspiration and creative juices flowing!
- 1:00 - 2:00 pm - Introducing FBCL Virtual Programs! During the lunch hour, a sampling of youth, young adult, and adult virtual programs will be shown.
- 2:00 - 3:00 pm - H-Town Authors: Kristi Jones and Liara Tamani. Houston-based authors Kristi Jones and Liara Tamani will talk about their experiences on writing, getting published, and finding creative inspiration. They will also talk about the obstacles they faced and how to cope with the challenges of being an author.
- 3:00 - 4:00 pm - Lisa See: Ask Me Anything. Lisa See will talk about the experiences she faced throughout her writing career, from her early efforts at writing to becoming a New York Times bestselling author of ten novels as well as the critically acclaimed memoir On Gold Mountain. Her historical novels feature themes that are reflective of her Asian-American cultural background. Some of her most famous books include Dreams of Joy, Shanghai Girls, Peony in Love, and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, which was adapted into a movie. Her most recent novel, The Island of Sea Women, was released in 2019. The Organization of Chinese American Women named her the 2001 National Woman of the Year.
Open Call for Wake Up and Smell the Writing!
Fort Bend County Libraries invites writers of all ages to perform at our Wake Up and Smell the Writing Author Hour on November 13, at 10 am – 12 noon. Join us with your favorite cup of coffee, tea, or beverage of your choice and steep us in your creative thoughts, whether it’s prose, poetry, song lyrics, or more. If you’d like to get on the sign-up sheet, please register here, and email Programming@fortbend.lib.tx.us with a digital copy of your work. It will be screened for family-friendly appropriateness. The performance order will be first-come, first-served. Please keep your performance less than 10 minutes and be prepared to talk about yourself and your work. Entries can be submitted October 13 – November 12, and during the Author Hour itself. Email Programming@fortbend.lib.tx.us for more information!