THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED. PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES.
Entries Sought for Live-Streamed Poetry Slam for Teens & Young Adults
Fort Bend County Libraries (FBCL) is hosting an online Poetry Slam Competition for teens and young adults. The theme for the competition is “Dare to Hope.” Participants are invited to compete for prizes in this performance-poetry event by reading an original work they have created themselves.
Entries may be submitted online April 5 through May 6.
The live-streamed performance-poetry competition will take place on
Saturday, May 8, at 2:00 pm.
Prizes will be awarded to the top three competitors.
- Participants must be between the ages of 14 and 20.
- Judging will be based on language, idea, theme, tone, mood, vocal strength, emotion, body/facial movement, and fluency.
- Participants should submit one poem to be read during one qualifying round and a final round. A panel of five judges will determine which competitors advance to the final round. The order of performances will be randomly chosen on May 8 at the start of the event.
- The poem must be limited to no longer than 3 minutes and 10 seconds in length.
- Poets may read from a copy of their poem, but they may not use props, costumes, or musical instruments.
- Poems will be performed during a live-streamed event for the general public. All poems should be appropriate for all ages.
- FBCL reserves the right to print, display, or present any entry in this contest.
- Library employees and their immediate family are not eligible to win.
- Participants who register online during the entry period will be sent a link for the Webex session for the competition. Submissions will not be accepted after 5:00 pm on May 6.
- The Poetry Slam is sponsored by the Friends of Fort Bend County Libraries.
- Direct any questions to Christina Tam at Christina.Tam@fortbend.lib.tx.us or 281-633-4726.
- To participate in the competition, you must register at the link below and then email a written copy of your poem to Christina.Tam@fortbend.lib.tx.us. This registration form will be available until 5:00 pm, on Thursday, May 6, and your poem is due by the same deadline.