Fort Bend County Libraries (FBCL) will slowly begin the process of re-opening buildings on Thu, Nov 5, 2020. Phase 2 of the re-opening plan involves opening four libraries throughout the county – George Memorial Library in Richmond, Cinco Ranch Branch Library in Katy, Missouri City Branch Library, and Sienna Branch Library – for Grab-and-Go services only. We have a gradual re-opening plan for other Fort Bend County libraries.
To reduce the possibility of exposure, patrons are required to conduct library business and exit the premises in a timely manner. The Books & More Curbside Pick-Up service will continue to be available at ALL locations. Visitors are encouraged to continue using contact-free options whenever possible.
During Phase 2, in the four Grab-and-Go libraries that are open, patrons will be able to:
- Browse first-floor collections;
- Complete a library-card application in person to apply for or renew your library card or update your address;
- Pay fines/fees of $5 and up with a credit card (Mastercard/VISA/Discover) at the circulation desk. Cash will not be accepted;
- Make copies, scan, or fax documents;
- Use a computer and print; 2-hour limit; only one session is allowed per day. Reserve a computer by calling the library or reserving online on the FBCL website; requires a library card (full-service or eCard);
- Ask questions at the Reference Desk;
- Mobile WiFi hotspots and Launchpads are available for check out on a first-come, first-served basis to Fort Bend County residents;
Patrons who enter the library building are required to wear a mask and follow all social-distancing guidelines. Everyone entering the buildings will start at the health-screening station; hand-sanitizer is also available.
Other safety precautions during Phase 2 Grab-and-Go include the following:
- Computers will be spaced apart so that social distancing is observed. Computer sessions will be limited to one 2-hour session per day, and each station will be cleaned on a set schedule throughout the day. Children/patrons will not be able to wait in the library while someone else uses a computer.
- Casual seating, lounging areas, and study tables will not be available.
- Meeting rooms and study rooms will not be open.
- Cash cannot be accepted for fines or fees.
- Programming and events for children, teens, and adults will remain online and in virtual formats.
- Donations of books cannot be accepted at this time.
- Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Keeping community health and safety in mind, FBCL staff will continue to take extensive precautions to ensure a safe and germ-free environment for everyone, including checking staff temperatures upon their arrival at the building, wearing masks, washing hands, disinfecting hard surfaces and workstations, and quarantining returned materials.
Books, mobile WiFi hotspots, Launchpads, and Interlibrary-loan materials should be returned in the outside book drop. Hotspots and Launchpads must be returned to the same library from which they were checked out. Book bins will sit untouched before books will be checked in. Additional overdue/late fees will not accrue.
WHAT’S AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE?
In addition, the following programs and services are available at ALL library locations throughout the county:
- Check out books, DVDs, or CDs;
- Use the online library-card application to apply for or renew your library card or update your address;
- Use the online library-card application to upgrade your eCard to a full-service library card;
- Pick up new library cards through the curbside pick-up service after the online library-card application has been processed;
- Library staff continue to be available virtually by phone, email, or online chat to assist patrons;
- WiFi can be accessed from the parking lots of the libraries;
- Mobile WiFi hotspots are available for check out on a first-come, first-served basis to Fort Bend County residents;
- Utilize the curbside pick-up service;
- Request Interlibrary loans (ILLs);
- Return books, hotspots, and ILLs in the outdoor book drop;
- Readers can participate in live-streamed book clubs in real time via Webex;
- Adult computer how-to videos are accessible from the website.
The hours for the four Grab-and-Go locations, as well as for the remaining Curbside-Service-only locations, are as follows:
- Mon-Thu – 9 am-6 pm;
- Fri – 9 am-5 pm;
- Sat – 9 am-5 pm at all locations EXCEPT at the Albert George Branch Library (Needville), the Mamie George Branch Library (Stafford), and the Bob Lutts Fulshear/Simonton Branch Library. For these branches, the Saturday hours are 9 am-1 pm;
- Sun – CLOSED (all locations).
* NOTE: To expedite Curbside Pick-Up service, call your library BEFORE you come to pick-up your holds(s), as well as when you arrive. Please pick up your items no later than 15 minutes prior to closing. If they are not picked up by that time, they will be held for the next business day.